Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Moments from my Creepy Childhood



All together now, readers: "That explains a lot!"

I doubt it was my parents' intent to fill my childhood with creepy things, but as you can deduce from this blog, I gravitated towards them on my own.

This particular item is not just any book about ghosts, monsters and ghouls in a dank castle. This is a *pop-up book* about THE GHOSTS OF CREEPY CASTLE.


My copy of the book probably disappeared long ago, so my examples of the illustrations are limited to what others have posted online. I wish I could give you a more complete idea of just how freaky some of the artwork was, but the cover is a pretty good example.



As you read the story of a tour through Creepy Castle, you pulled or opened various tabs in the book to cause terrible things to happen to the tourists. MUAAHAHAHAHA!



I hope to someday purchase a copy so I can look it over again as an adult. It probably isn't half as scary as I remember it being, but the high nostalgia factor guarantees I'll love it no matter what.

The Ghosts of Creepy Castle via Movable Books Society
The Ghosts of Creepy Castle via Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. Haha, that looks like a pretty cute book. I dunno if you know this, but somebody in the U.K. is selling a copy on eBay for pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice that there were some people selling copies on Amazon and eBay, sometimes for really reasonable prices. I am super tempted to grab one!!

      Delete
    2. Well, I think you totally should. There's nothing like having something, like this book for example, to enhance some good memories. :)

      Delete
  2. Barnes & Noble has cheap used copies, too.

    Never saw this one as a kid, but I would have loved it. I did the whole "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" thing, though (starting at age 8 or so), and that was thoroughly traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I loved those as well! Those illustrations were INSANE!

      Delete