Monday, March 4, 2013

Buffy the... Guilty Pleasure?



And this weeks Thing That Makes The Least Sense To Me is... Netflix's "Flixie Awards."

Specifically, their "Best Guilty Pleasure" category. Among other such things as 90210, Pretty Little Liars, Bady Boys II, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon, you can vote for... Buffy the Vampire Slayer?


I'm more than a little biased, I'm a gigantic boulder pinning the "Buffy Rules!" side of the seesaw to the Earth. But since when is Buffy something to be ashamed of? It's an amazing, well-written, poignant, epic... alright, biased, I'll stop. I've just never known anyone to feel guilty for liking the show. Is there something to feel guilty about?

Is it because the main characters are mostly teenagers? Because of the various romances in the show? Do some people have the misconception that it's shallow or soap opera-ish? Is there something else I'm missing? I'm honestly mulling it over and over in my mind, perhaps giving it more thought than it deserves. I think it was just a mistake by some poor misguided soul over at Netflix who didn't "get" the show, but the whole thing makes me wonder.

I know these days paranormal and vampire stories are a dime a dozen, and usually about as well done to warrant less than that. Buffy was/is so much more than some paranormal teen romance drama, though. And I have two words for anyone who would suggest otherwise: Joss Whedon. End of story.

Seriously, Netflix. I love you and all, but... you're nuts.

Best Guilty Pleasure category for the Flixies
Netflix Nominates 'Buffy' for 'Best Guilty Pleasure'... via Whedonesque

No comments:

Post a Comment