Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Book & Brew: Zombies!



I've been on vacation for the past week or so, but before I took my time off I got to work on a fun project for a library display. I was pretty excited about the program lineup I'd worked on for Fall, which includes a lecture on home brewing called You Can Brew It! It gave me an idea to make a book display that would pair up books with craft beers, based around their theme. I had a lot of fun coming up with ideas- and I got plenty of help from my friends! On the display we'll have bookmarks I made that feature a book-beer pairing, or to suggest a list of books that matched a particular beer's theme. I've taken to calling them "brewmarks."

(See the end of the entry for thumbnails and links to the brewmarks!)




They also advertise our upcoming home brew program on the back, so the display is serving three major purposes here: it's eye-catching and different, it highlights books in our collection, and it's promoting a library event.

Whether it's my own bias, the nature of craft beer makers, or something else, several horror/sci-fi themes emerged. So this month I'll be sharing those pairings and lists to both give you some ideas of books to read, but also to share some awesome craft beers that you should check out. Obviously there are a lot of movies that could easily substitute for the books, too. If you delight in themes as much as I do, I'm sure you'll find something new and fun to try.

So today our theme is zombies. I admittedly have them on the brain (PUNS!) often anyway, but I did just finish a couple volumes of THE WALKING DEAD over my vacation week, plus I'm slowly making my way through the new unabridged audiobook version of WORLD WAR Z. It has a seriously amazing cast, whether you've already read it like I have or it's new to you, I highly recommend it. It includes Nathan Fillion, Carl Reiner, Frank Darabont, Mark Hamill, Alfred Molina, Martin Scorsese, and... a hell of a lot more.

Speaking of WORLD WAR Z, I've paired it up with one of the finest American Pale Ales in existence: Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. It rates 100 at Ratebeer.com, and the memory of its deliciousness haunts me. You're not likely to just stumble upon it, at least not around here, so you'll have to hunt it down-- but it's worth it. Not to mention the amazing label artwork by none other than local comic creator Tim Seeley. Is it any wonder I'm a fan of this beer?

My second list is based on another favorite, Rogue Dead Guy Ale. It's a German style Maibock, coming in at 92 on Ratebeer.com. It also comes in a Double Dead Guy, if you're looking for something a little special. The book list I made includes things like the aforementioned WALKING DEAD and WORLD WAR Z, but I also recommend PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES, and WARM BODIES. These are just the books that we happen to have at my library, with the zombie craze going mainstream there are tons of novels about the undead out there.

If you're feeling more like a film than a book, either of these beers would be perfect for a little NIGHT/DAWN/DAY marathon, popping in SHAUN OF THE DEAD, or a zombie movie with a drinking game like WILD ZERO.




No comments:

Post a Comment