Monday, September 9, 2013

Book & Brew: Hell's Bells



If you didn't catch last week's post on beers to go with the undead, during September my library is featuring a display I put together where I pair up books with beers based on a theme. We're using it to help advertise an event we're having in October on home brewing called You Can Brew It! Plus I had a lot of fun coming up with the pairings and lists.

This week, my second horror-themed brewmarks come straight out of hell.

(See the end of the entry for thumbnails and links to the brewmarks!)


Our first pairing is for Dante Alighieri's classic THE INFERNO. While Captain Obvious might have had a hand in putting Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale with Dante's novel, it's also kind of perfect. I'm happy to give a nod to a Belgian ale too, it's one of my personal favorite styles. Ratebeer.com gives it a 97. I'd also recommend a newer book called THE DEMONOLOGIST by Andrew Pyper as a companion or alternate book, since in it the main character uses his knowledge of PARADISE LOST (also a good alternate) to track a demon that has taken his daughter. I reviewed and enjoyed it earlier this year.

The second pairing puts THE EXORCIST by William Peter Blatty with another Belgian-inspired beer, Bell's Hell Hath No Fury... Ale, which gets a 96 over on Ratebeer. I love Bell's Brewery, their Oberon and Two-Hearted Ale are favorites of mine. While they did used Belgian yeasts to make Hell Hath No Fury, the recipe they used them in turned it into something more like a stout. So the tasting notes have coffee and chocolate flavors alongside the fruity/spicy ones.

And really, if you're going to read THE EXORCIST you might as well watch the movie. Maybe toss on THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE or THE LAST EXORCISM and make a night of it. Can you overdose on exorcism films? That might make a good experiment for one of my upcoming October marathon weekends.

Until next week-- here are today's brewmarks.




No comments:

Post a Comment